Monday, May 2, 2011

Mother Dearest

I've decided to try the themes thing again this week since I can be a little ADD, which is great for event planning but not so much for blogging! Seeing as this week is leading up to mother's day, I thought I'd focus on moms this week...

Of course, on the tail of the Royal Wedding last week, we all know that Prince William did a lot to pay tribute to Diana's memory during the wedding-- Kate wore Diana's stunning engagement ring, they were married in the same cathedral as Diana's funeral, and the first hymn sung was the last hymn sung during Diana's funeral. I'm sure there are others that are equally as touching, and yet did little to dampen the spirit of the day, but I'll move on.

I have a few friends whose mothers have also passed before their times, and their wedding days have all been a little bittersweet. If you are in this boat, think of the things your mother would have wanted for your day-- did she have a favorite food you could serve at the reception? A favorite bakery for the cake? Do you have an old item of clothing you could fashion in to a piece of your dress or a handkerchief? Like William, you could pick a song significant to your mother, or to the two of you that could be played during the ceremony.

There are lots of beautiful ways to incorporate your mother in to your wedding celebration and still keep it just that-- a celebration. After all, she would want exactly that for you!

For my dear friend Anne-Minter, and in memory of her mother Mickey

No comments:

Post a Comment